Fundamentals of Mueller polarimetry
Research on Fundamental Mueller matrix Algebra and Matrix Decompositions
Our Motto: Theory for the experiments, not theory for the theory
- The purpose of this activity is the development of the Mueller matrix algebra and the elaboration of tools useful for the phenomenological interpretation of polarimetric measurements.
- We investigate new and suitable matrix decompositions of experimentally obtained Mueller matrices.
- Matrix decomposition strategies can be divided in three groups: Sum, Product and Differential decompositions.
- Matrix decompositions are adapted to different measurement configurations (reflection or transmission) and enable the characterization of complex optical structures in terms of physically meaningful polarization parameters (diattenuation and retardance).
- Matrix decompositions are equally applicable to both spectroscopic and imaging Mueller matrix data.
- José Jorge Gil, Razvigor Ossikovski (book) Polarized Light and the Mueller Matrix Approach, CRC Press (2nd ed. 2022) d.o.i.: 10.1201/9780367815578
- Razvigor Ossikovski, Mehmet Ali Kuntman, Oriol Arteaga, Anisotropic integral decomposition of depolarizing Mueller matrices, OSA Continuum 2, 1900 (2019) d.o.i. : 10.1364/OSAC.2.001900
- Razvigor Ossikovski, Differential matrix formalism for depolarizing anisotropic media, Opt. Lett. 36, 2330 (2011) d.o.i.: 10.1364/OL.36.002330
Impact of Partial Coherence on Polarimetric Measurements
- Partially coherent light-matter interaction results in depolarizing Mueller matrices containing not only polarization but also depolarization parameters.
- Understanding the sample-instrument interaction responsible for the phenomenon of partial coherence taking place during the polarimetric measurement.
- Razvigor Ossikovski, Kurt Hingerl, General formalism for partial spatial coherence in reflection Mueller matrix polarimetry, Opt. Lett. 41, 4044 (2016) d.o.i.: 10.1364/OL.41.004044
- Kurt Hingerl, Razvigor Ossikovski, General approach for modeling partial coherence in spectroscopic Mueller matrix polarimetry, Opt. Lett. 41, 219 (2016) d.o.i.: 10.1364/OL.41.000219
- Razvigor Ossikovski, Oriol Arteaga, Sang Hyuk Yoo, Enrique Garcia-Caurel, and Kurt Hingerl, Opt. Lett. 42, 4740 (2017) d.o.i.: 10.1364/OL.42.004740
Contact: Prof. Razvigor Ossikovski – email@example.com